In this episode of ‘Ask Geoff & Lauren’ we answer a question from Bill who wanted to know our favourite double bass method books. With so many choices it can be hard to choose, so we share what’s worked for us and our students. There’s some incredible books out there that have made a huge difference to our playing and I hope you we help find the right one for you.
Here’s some of the books we reference in the video:
- The Jazz Theory by Mark Levine
- The Jazz Theory Workbook by Mark Boling (Advance Music)
- Tonal Harmony by Stefan Kostka and Dorothy Payne (Lauren forgot the name in the video)
- Comprehensive Technique for Jazz Musicians by Bert Ligon
- The Jazz Bass Book by John Goldsby
- Double Bass Solo by Keith Hartley
- Progressive Repertoire by George Vance
- Simplified Higher Technique by Francesco Petracchi
- Double Bass: The Ultimate Challenge by Jeff Bradetitch
We cover both jazz and classical methods, plus if you have a recommendation for a method book you love please share it in the comments.